- “Read this information in another language.” “Lea esta informacion en otro idioma.”
- Watch the video below!
EL (English Learners) PROGRAM MISSION: To honor and build upon the diverse cultural and language backgrounds of English language learners and to ensure that they achieve their fullest linguistic, academic, cognitive and social potential.
|Ghadir Al-Khatib, Teacher||Martha Paz-Espinoza, Teacher|
|Lee Ayoub, Teacher||Monica Sugaray, Instructional Assistant||Jennifer Owen, Teacher||Evin Rodriguez, Parent Liaison
About EL Program
The EL program at Long Branch is for students who are learning English. We use the grade level curriculum to develop reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills. Students practice using the academic vocabulary needed to understand the curriculum.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I help my EL student?
- Read with your child in English and/or in your home language.
- Talk with your child. Speak in whatever language you feel most comfortable. The more language your child hears and speaks (in any language) the easier it will be to learn English.
How can I help my child with his/her schoolwork?
- Check your child’s reading log and/or assignment notebook.
- Have them show you what they are working on. Ask questions about what they are doing in school.
- Check your child’s Thursday folder.
Remember, the staff at Long Branch is here to help your child succeed. Contact your teachers whenever you have a concern.
There is a special monthly program for primary EL families called Reach for Reading. Please check back for upcoming events.
2020 – 2021 Reach for Reading Dates:
All events are on Wednesdays, starting at 7:00 PM
|September 30, 2020||February 17, 2021|
|October 21, 2020||March 24, 2021|
|November 18, 2020||April 21, 2021|
|December 16, 2020||May 19, 2021|
|January 20, 2021||June 16, 2021|