ESOL/HILT PROGRAM MISSION: To honor and build upon the diverse cultural and language backgrounds of English language learners and to ensure that they achieve their fullest linguistic, academic, cognitive and social potential.
StaffGhadir Al-Khatib, Teacher
Lee Ayoub, Teacher
Martha Paz-Espinosa, Teacher
Meryluz Molina, Parent Liaison, Tel: 703-228-8062
The ESOL/HILT program at Long Branch is for students who are learning English. We use the grade level curriculum to develop reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills. Students practice using the academic vocabulary needed to understand the curriculum.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I help my ESOL/HILT student?
- Read with your child in English and/or in your home language.
- Talk with your child. Speak in whatever language you feel most comfortable. The more language your child hears and speaks (in any language) the easier it will be to learn English.
How can I help my child with his/her schoolwork?
- Check your child’s reading log and/or assignment notebook.
- Have them show you what they are working on. Ask questions about what they are doing in school.
- Check your child’s Thursday folder.
- See your teacher about homework clubs
Remember, the staff at Long Branch is here to help your child succeed. Contact your teachers whenever you have a concern.
There is a special monthly program for primary ESOL/HILT families called Reach for Reading. Please check back for upcoming events:
Your child will bring home a reminder two or three days before the event.