Winter is here and that means there is always a possibility of school delays and closures. Whenever snow and icy conditions are in the forecast, APS begins making preparations to ensure that schools can remain open whenever possible. APS crews communicate closely with County staff to make sure accumulating snow is cleared and icy conditions are treated on bus routes. If a storm occurs during the overnight hours, APS crews monitor road conditions thoroughly and provide updates to the Superintendent. (Winter Weather PSA)
Throughout the winter season, we encourage families to be prepared for the possibility of school delays or closings by establishing plans for alternate work arrangements and/or child care if schools delay opening, close early, or are closed for the whole day. If a decision is made overnight to open late or to close for the whole day, families will be notified by of the decision by School Talk and a text message, typically by about 5 a.m. You can also get the latest information through the many other communication channels that APS uses:
- Visit the website at www.apsva.us. (Operations related changes will be posted on the website first)
- Check your email for an update from APS School Talk.
- Text message
- Follow us on Facebook or Twitter.
- Tune in for news updates on major English or Spanish television & radio stations.
- For those who live in Arlington, watch for an announcement on AETV on Verizon Channel 41 or Comcast Channel 70.
- Call the APS Hotline at 703-228-4277 to hear a recorded message.
- Download the free APS app to receive a notification on your mobile device.
For more information on snow-related closings, delays, and emergency updates, visit https://www.apsva.us/emergency-alerts/.